Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pollution Free Diwali after 20- An awakening!!!!!


Diwali or Deepawali has always brought cheers to the whole family, society,city and country. Now it is worldwide too. What is Diwali? A Festival of lights. A sign of Good's victory over Evil. The awareness of inner light. In south India, it is the victory of Lord Krishna over the demon Naragasura. Whatever be the original meaning of Diwali, three things are inevitable, a public holiday, sweets and finally fire crackers.


During childhood, I used to wait one whole year for Diwali just like other kids. Hardly a month or two before diwali, we would start our purchases starting with dresses. I used to have 2 or 3 unfortunate years as I had my birthday and Diwali occuring on the same day. I meant "unfortunate" because during school, the very first working day after Diwali we were allowed to wear the Diwali dress. Also we were allowed to wear our birthday dress on our birthdays as always. Now you would have known how "unfortunate" I was having both my Diwali and Birthday on the same day not having a chance to wear both the dresses on different days. The first unfortunate year passed with so much of "grief and sorrow". My mum pacified me saying I can wear my birthday dress to school on some other day without anyone knowing. That is what she could do to stop my crying. Not that I did not want to do what she said. Right from KG I had a "friend" in class who shared the same birthday as I am. and the whole class knew it. I would perfectly land in trouble if I wore my birthday dress on a different day. So the "sorrow" continued the next year too. This was too much for me. The same drama passed for that year. It was New year Eve. I rushed to my dad's table to open a new diary which had the list of holidays for the New year. Yes, no prizes for guessing. I was cautious that there should not be a date conflict again this year. Luckily there was not one. From that day I started loving Diwali once again to the core.

Years passed. My interest in Diwali slowly started to fade that I was looking forward only for newly released movies. Yes, my zeal for movies was daring to sneak out. As always being an ardent fan of Kamal Hassan I started looking for his movies on Diwali. Either his movie or Rajnikanth's movie would defintely grace the theatres for sure. I would defintely catch up with the movie during first week.That was "my" Diwali celebration. I was not interested in lighting the crackers much then. I had my own reasons. The sole intention of this blog is to gather people of my own thoughts and prepare to face the "global -warmed" future.

Just last week I had read an article on the fast growing global warming recently in a leading Daily Newspaper. The large number of servers used for multipurpose poses a threat to the existing environment. It has been found that the heat developed by these servers have much to account for global warming.To maintain the servers in AC chambers lot of gases had to be burnt to maintain the chillness. To avoid this the researchers from Iceland have come up with a potential proposal. The relocation of Internet servers like Yahoo to Iceland would make things easy and would not cater the needs of maintainence of servers but also can avoid using AC chambers. So much studies and surveys have proved that if existence of Internet is mandatory, so is our green environment. Only if we start planning now for future our generation would benefit from our actions. Remember I am not a connoisseur to speak about Global warming in detail. Just a mere Human having a bit of care for our Mother Earth

Similarly Diwali may be a festival of lights for us at present but the air pollution from bursting the crackers defintely has its effect on the environment. A few may argue it is just for one day. Yes, I agree but the amount of smoke on that "day" alone makes the earth warmer by a few degrees. What I am trying to stress out strongly is bursting crackers can be done upto certain age. We cannot set an embargo for children burst crackers as they would have been dreaming of this day for past few months like how we did in the past. Dont get impetuous to ignore this awakening.We can save our earth from getting warmer by not bursting crackers after the age of 20. It is as simple as that. Rather than being selfish we can sacrifice little for the younger generation's future earth. We as humans- the only 6th sensed animal can only ameliorate the present state of the earth. I wish it turns true

No comments: